Alabama Board of Nursing
For applicants who need to take NCLEX.
The process of taking the NCLEX exam can be broken down into eight steps. These steps cover registration and scheduling, eligibility, identification requirements, and results processing.
- Apply for licensure with one board of nursing (BON).
Register and pay $200 with Pearson VUE via the Internet, telephone.
Receive an Acknowledgement of Receipt of Registration from Pearson VUE.
Receive eligibility from the BON.
Receive an Authorization to Test (ATT) letter from Pearson VUE. Candidates must test within the validity dates. There are no extensions.
Schedule an exam appointment via the Internet (by accessing your online account) or by telephone (telephone only for international scheduling).
Arrive for exam appointment and present your ATT letter and acceptable identification (ID). The only acceptable forms of ID for test centers in the U.S., American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and U.S. Virgin Islands are:
- You must wait until you graduate
- ATTENTION: THE NAME ON THE ID THAT WILL BE USED FOR TESTING MUST BE THE SAME AS THE NAME THAT YOU APPLY WITH ABN & PEARSON VUE FOR TESTING
- You must complete the online application.
- You must have an Official Transcript sent to us before your application will be processed.
- If you answer "Yes" to any of the legal background questions, we must have a detailed explanation and all certified records (court, treatment, military, or other boards of nursing). If disclosure has been previously made to the Board, please indicate when. Send to the attention of Robert. In addition to applying to us, you must apply to take the NCLEX examination and may do so here.
- EXAM APPLICANTS: Applicants are now required to prove United States Citizenship or Lawful Presence in the United States prior to the Board issuing a temporary permit or permanent license. Select the correct checklist and follow the instructions on each to submit the appropriate document to the Board of Nursing. You may submit your proof one month prior to graduation if you plan to apply for licensure in Alabama. We will only request this information from you this one time if you are a U.S. citizen. If you are not a citizen, and do not have a permanent resident card, we will ask for information from you at each license renewal after initial licensure. Thanks.
U.S. Citizen Checklist
Not a U.S. Citizen Checklist
- U.S. driver's license (Department of Motor Vehicle-issued; if expired, a renewal slip that includes a photograph and a signature must be presented as well);
- U.S. state identification (Department of Motor Vehicle-issued);
- U.S. military identification; or
The only acceptable form of ID for international test centers is a passport.
8. Receive results from the BON approximately four weeks after the exam. (In Alabama,
keep your confirmation number and check online for official results within 24-48 hours
The Eight Steps of the NCLEX flyer, as well as the 2012 NCLEX Candidate Bulletin, can be found on the Candidate Bulletin and Information page of NCSBN's website, www.ncsbn.org.
NOTE: If you are attempting to complete the Licensure by Examination application, please use another browser other than FIREFOX. Other browsers such as INTERNET EXPLORER or CHROME will work. Also, make sure scripting is enabled.